How to Reverse a Trailer
When you first buy a trailer in Adelaide, or you don’t have a great deal of experience with towing and using one, reversing and parking can present quite a challenge. However, with our tips and advice — plus a bit of practice — you should be able to feel a great deal more confident when reversing a box trailer, car trailer or tipper trailer.
Reversing with a trailer
- Whenever possible, you should have someone to help you when you are attempting to
reverse a trailer, as visibility can be limited and this will present a considerable challenge if
you’re not used to it.
- The best starting position from which to reverse or park is when your vehicle and trailer are aligned as straight as possible. The best indicator of this is when you can see the same amount of trailer in each side mirror.
- Before you begin, check out how much of the trailer you can see in your mirrors, and how much you can see when you look out the windows (back and side). Knowing where your trailer is at all times makes the whole process much simpler.
- Perhaps the most important thing to remember when reversing and parking a trailer is that the trailer will turn in the opposite direction to which the steering wheel is being turned i.e., when you turn the steering wheel left, this means the trailer be turning to the right.
- Straightening the steering wheel once you have started turning at the desired angle will keep the towing vehicle and trailer moving together in a smooth arc.
- Turning the trailer too far or too sharply can cause it to jackknife, which could damage your trailer and/or vehicle.
- When you are getting used to reversing a trailer, it is best to try and do this as smoothly as possible, giving you time to correct your alignment gradually.
- Don’t be afraid to stop and get out of the vehicle at any time so you can get a clearer view.
- 9. Although you are reversing, remember to keep an eye on the front of the towing vehicle as well, so that you don’t clip any obstacles when you are turning at an angle.
Need more help?
At Basic Trailers, we manufacture all types of trailers for sale in Adelaide, so no-one knows as much about trailers as we do! If you want to know what sort of trailer would best suit your vehicle or will meet your towing needs, call Sam at Basic Trailers on 0477 799 871 and talk to one of the best trailer manufacturers Adelaide has to offer.